Friday, January 3, 2014

Sundown, Yellow Moon - Larry Watson

I started reading this because I took a few classes with the author when I was in school and he is AMAZING. Dr. Watson is an incredibly insightful man. My own writing improved so much during my time learning from him that I decided to read all of his books.

Sundown, Yellow Moon is very interesting so far. I don't know what to make of it. The protagonist's best friend's father murders a senator and then commits suicide and noone really knows why. This novel is the after story: the protagonist, a writer, reflects on the events of that day nearly forty years later, trying to piece together what  happened, and why, and the aftermath of the tragedy. A review in Esquire compares it to Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment, which I haven't read fully, so I can't comment, but the review does make me want to read more Dostoevsky, if that's any indication of how I feel about this novel. It's ridiculously well-written, but it's a different style than what I am used to reading. I'm going to make a big assumption and say that's because Dr. Watson is much older than I am. His writing, and his plot, reflect an America that I have never experienced. I'm about halfway through, and I have a good feeling about this.

Sundown, Yellow Moon reminds me of The Body of Christopher Creed a little bit. In the latter, a boy named Christopher Creed (surprise, surprise) mysteriously disappears and noone knows what to make of it. Throughout the book, the narrator explores different reasons for his disappearance, and ultimately it comes to haunt him constantly. I don't remember what happens at the end - I'm going to have to read it again at some point.


No comments:

Post a Comment